Thursday, December 15, 2011

Best rate- Chinese RMB to dollars?

I work in China but my permanent home is in the US. My salary is given in Chinese RMB. I need to find the best place to convert a large sum of money so I can get the very best deal. The few places I have looked into have a very bad conversion rate.





Does anyone know of anywhere I can go to get the best deal? I live in Chicago.|||I don't know the rates involved in doing this, but perhaps it might be best for your to put the entire amount into a Chinese bank account (Bank of China?) and then do a wire transfer to your bank account in the United States.





I've not done this, so I really don't know the ins and outs and whether or not you can even do this. It might be worth checking into, though.





Good luck!|||In my experience, it can be difficult to exchange RMB to USD for an individual. If you want to take RMB to Chicago, it might be near impossible because the market for RMB cash is grey at best and not many will take it, especially large amounts. It is also illegal to leave China with a large sum of cash, and US customs will confiscate it as well if it is worth more then $10k US. I know a shop in Vancouver that takes it, but really their trade is in the bit you have in your pocket when you leave China. If you want to exchange it in China, again, there are places besides banks to go, but it is pretty risky as counterfeit The best bet for large sums is to do a wire transfer between your banks. You can also ask your employer to deposit to your bank in the US. In order to take large sums out of China you will need to prove that you gained it legitimately, so if the employer does not do it for you, you may need to take pay stubs to the bank to show them.





Unfortunately, there is no easy way to move large sums of money out of China. My own view is that it is better to take the pain of the conversion in order to make sure it is legitimate and legal. Better to pay more on the exchange then to lose the whole thing.





Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment