Thursday, December 15, 2011

Can I live with 1500 RMB per month in Mutianyu, China? Lodging, lunch, and dinner would be provided.?

Take a look at this question on Yahoo Answers...





Can I live with 1500 RMB per month (minus housing expense) in Beijing?


I am interning at a local business in Beijing this summer. Hopefully if plan goes right, I can get free housing. So is 1500 RMB per month enough for the rest of living expense (food, shopping, clubbing)?








Below is what I wrote the that person. It should help you.


--------------------------------------鈥?br>

No way. If you want to do those things you will need much much more. Think about it... Lets say you go





Clubbing 4 times a month. I will go on the High end... Taxi to club. 22 RMB. Drinks at club. (4 drinks at 30 RMB each) That's 568 RMB a month. Over 1/3 of 1,500 RMB.





Food. If you just eat cheap Chinese food every day... ( food from hole in the wall places. Street Food... etc...) 30 days of eating... each meal will cost you maybe 10 RMB. 3 meals a day. that's 900 RMB. That's spending 30 RMB a day. Very Low. You may skip a meal here and there. But You wont want to eat just Chinese food. There will be times when you want some western Food. Those meals will cost you 50 RMB and up. Now you are at 1,468 RMB. Now you have 32 RMB to Shop. 32 RMB will not cut it. Even if my estimates were a bit high, you still won't have enough. There are Cell phone cards to buy. China Mobile cards are 50-100 RMB each. I use 2 of those a month. Then there is the METRO cards. Again 50-100 RMB a month. The Metro is cheaper than a taxi or bus. But when that metro shuts down at night you have to take a TAXI to get home.





I live in Guangzhou, China. I make around 12,000 RMB a month teaching English. I spend 6000 to 7000 RMB a month. That is including my Rent at 3300 RMB ( including utilities ) I live comfortably on 3000-4000 RMB every month. Save the rest. But I don't club. I do not buy clothes. I'm 6-3. Size 14 (52) shoes size. They don't make clothes for me. I eat Western Food one day a week. The Other days I eat Cheap Chinese food or semi nice Chinese restaurants. Also consider the amount of liquids you will be drinking. It's Hot in CHINA during the summer time. I drink about 3 bottles of water a day. Average bottle of water is 2 RMB. That's almost 200 RMB a month on water alone. Sure you can get a water cooler at your place. I do as well. But you can't carry that with you. There are so many little expenses that I can't list them to you now. So, do you think you can survive on 1,500 RMB a month? I would say shoot for 2,500 to 3,000 RMB. That would be a good comfort zone for you.|||Yes, you can live a very good life with 1500 RMB if your food and housing is paid for. In a big city in China it only cost something like 15 RMB for an hr of internet. Food is super cheap as are glasses (I got mine for $30 with the lenses) clothes are cheap, transportation is cheap. You can do it. Things just are not expensive there.|||That is approximately the same compensation package that an unskilled Chinese laborer receives. If you don't mind living at that level, then go for it.





1500 RMB = US$220|||do you know that mutianyu is part of the great wall and not actually a city in China?

No comments:

Post a Comment